Cracked teeth can be painful, unattractive, and pricey to repair. In this post from Arbor Lakes Dental in Maple Grove MN, we offer tips to keep your teeth whole and strong.
- Don’t chew on hard things. Steer clear of ice, hard candies, hard nuts, and even popcorn (the kernels can do damage). Also be wary of pitted fruits — that peach may be soft, but if you bite hard into the pit you could damage a tooth.
- Always wear a mouthguard when playing sports. If you enjoy pick-up basketball games, indoor soccer leagues, rec center flag football, and many other activities, you should be using a well-fitting mouth protector.
- Never use your teeth as a tool. Take a minute to find a pair of scissors before you tear open a package of lunch meat instead of your teeth. Use a nutcracker for nuts. A quality dental crown can cost hundreds of dollars.
- Don’t grind your teeth. If you know or suspect that you are a tooth grinder, ask us about a nighttime mouth guard. People often do it in their sleep and aren’t aware of it. Frequent headaches or jaw pain can be a symptom of teeth grinding.
- See us for regular check-ups. We can alert you to conditions that might predispose you to cracked teeth, such as having an uneven chewing surface or brittle teeth. We may also discover tiny cracks you aren’t aware of. Take care of these cracks before the whole tooth is in danger.
If you already have a cracked tooth please let us know, at Arbor Lakes Dental in Maple Grove MN. People from Champlin, Plymouth MN, and Osseo trust us with their teeth! We offer family and restorative dentistry, and much more. Call for an appointment today!
Contact Arbor Lakes Dental – Jamie L. Sledd, DDS:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):