Periodontal disease, also called gum disease, is inflammation or infection of the gums. For the most part, periodontal disease is preventable. It is also treatable, at Arbor Lakes Dental in Maple Grove.
Gum disease is so pervasive in the US that it has been called a ‘health crisis’ by the ADA.
- If left untreated, it can cause irreversible damage such as tooth loss.
- Practicing daily dental hygiene and having 6-month dental exams are the best way to prevent periodontal disease.
- Periodontal disease can occur without the presence of decay.
- Almost half of all 30+ adults in the US have periodontal disease.
- In some cases, periodontal disease generates no noticeable symptoms.
Risk factors for periodontal disease include tobacco use, substandard oral hygiene (especially failing to floss), genetics, teeth grinding, inflammatory conditions, and poor nutrition.
There may be no better example of prevention being the best medicine. With regular brushing and flossing, and checkups at Arbor Lakes Dental in Maple Grove, you can prevent gum disease. Our services include family dentistry. Call to schedule a checkup with us today!
Contact Arbor Lakes Dental – Jamie L. Sledd, DDS:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):